Lead Product Designer
Posted on Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Ender is a mission-driven team of designers, educators, engineers, and founders passionate about fixing our education system by helping kids build a creative portfolio before they graduate high-school. We're reimagining the Science Fair for the 21st century with a competition platform that lets kids create projects to win prizes — starting with Minecraft competitions. We are supported by $6.5M from leading gaming and ed-tech venture capitalists.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced product designer to join a small team as a founding designer. Ender is a design driven company, so you will lead projects with 1-2 engineers from idea to production. You are an experienced individual contributor who has worked at an early stage startup. We love designers who have lived multiple lives either as engineers, product managers, or founders.
What you'll do
- Lead projects end to end with 1-2 engineers from idea to production. Create flows, wireframes, and prototypes.
- Abstract visual complexity to make our product approachable to kids as young as 8 years old.
- Define, extend, and manage our design system.
- Work with a small cohort of beta users to test and validate ideas and designs.
- Craft small details that make our product delightful.
- Work closely with our internal Minecraft team to co-design features and ensure visual consistency across the product.
What you bring
- 5+ years of relevant design experience at a consumer tech company
- Can tackle complex problems involving multiple variables and stakeholders
- Clear communicator with a structured thought process
- Can write extremely clear and concise documentation for everything you plan and do
- Nice to have: experience working on gaming and/or education products, ideally with kids ages 8-14
- Nice to have: familiar with tools like or similar to Figma, Origami, or Framer
- Nice to have: experience leading a team of designers
- Nice to have: experience with visual and/or brand design
— Figma for design
— Framer for web pages
— Linear, Threads, Almanac
How we work
We are a fully distributed team that works mostly async using Threads. The entire team plans and ships in weekly cycles using Linear. Cycles kick off with a Monday planning meeting and end with a Friday review meeting, where progress is documented and shared on a changelog. Meeting hours are between 10-1 PM PST. We value deep work and default to memos over meetings. Optional coworks are hosted on Tuesday and Thursday to foster collaboration and creativity. Each quarter, we meet up for a few days to forge bonds, celebrate wins, set goals, and have fun.
Perks & Benefits
— Competitive compensation and equity
— Fully remote and asynchronous
— Health, dental, and vision insurance
— Three no-meeting days
— Quarterly team offsite and hackathon
— Unlimited vacation
We'd still encourage you to apply if you don't tick every box above. We're building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another. We're a fully distributed digital team. We expect to remain fully remote and encourage applicants in the time zones between EST-PST to apply.