A chance to step up…
If you are an under-challenged software engineer hungry for more, here’s your chance to take on a new adventure in a fast growing early-stage startup disrupting a $50bn market. We are backed by leading investors and already have dozens of paying customers, but we are just getting started. As an early engineer, you’ll get to shape our product from the ground up and take decisions about the way we build it. Not only will have the ability to take responsibility and ownership but you are expected to, and your work is measured by its value, not in form of tickets. At this point, nothing is set in stone, and your contributions matter every day.
Our vision is to empower people at work
Everyone agrees that people-centric companies do better. But why is that most companies are still running their organisation based on admin-centric tools and processes across HR, finance and IT? It's adding paperwork, processes, emails and friction which distract from work and are hated by employees.
We believe there is a better way. Great companies empower their people to be productive and have a good employee experience at work, and we believe that an employee platform should be built with the primary goal to achieve just that. That's why we are building Zelt.
Zelt acts as a digital interface between employees and employers, in which you can access pay, benefits, documents, company apps and hardware in a highly automated and self-service manner, get feedback and approvals, and interact with your co-workers and manager without friction.
Zelt equips you with the tools you need to succeed at work and helps you stay focussed so you can achieve your goals. Visit for more information.
What you will be working on
As a product engineer at Zelt you will
- develop greenfield applications within the Zelt platform
- add features to existing apps frequently requested by users
- own and be held accountable for delivering functional pieces of work
- improve code architecture and infrastructure to keep up with growing expectations on the product in terms of customer experience (functionality, loading times, availability) and developer experience
- be actively in involved in the planning process for all projects you work on
Upcoming projects you may be working on include
- international payments: pay remote employee or contractor seamlessly in Zelt (admins spend hours on this every week)
- employee benefits: an integrated benefits marketplace, so employees can easily select benefits they want and admins don't have to spend hours implementing them (implementing benefits is difficult)
- mobile device management server: build a modern MDM from scratch, similar to products like Jamf, Jumpcloud or Kanji (we are currently using a third party for this but we want to have full control)
- payroll engine: build a payroll engine for the UK (we currently use a third party but may want to have more control in the future)
Our product development process is putting you in the driver seat
We do not follow Scrum or Kanban to develop product. Every piece of work you contribute is structured in form of a project that takes several weeks and results in an MVP of a feature, or a functional or architectural improvement that directly creates value for our users.
During planning you are actively involved in all aspects important for the project's success, ranging from UI/UX to code architecture to infrastructure. Release dates are agreed before the first line of code is written and designs in Figma clearly state user requirements.
During execution you become the CEO of that project and are expected to drive it forward, resolve blockers, and move it over the finish line on time. You are given freedom to decide how to implement the requirements and will have regular check-ins with key stakeholders such as our CEO, and a go-live demo on the day before release.
Great work is recognised and celebrated in the team, and top performers are rewarded with stock option top ups
- You have 3+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- You have production experience with Typescript and NodeJS or React, ideally both
- Your track record clear shows that you thrive for excellence and set a high bar for yourself
- You are comfortable in a startup environment full of uncertainty
- You use technical debt consciously as a tool not as an excuse for untidy work
- You are a team player
- Get equity in a high growth startup backed by the investors of Notion, Spotify and Airbnb.
- Work with a diverse, international team on a product that positively impacts the world.
- Level up your skills in areas you don’t get to touch in larger organisations.
- Show the world that you are more than just a cog in a big machine.
- Join a mission-led business where you are your own customer.
- Work in a posh office in Belgravia.
- Put some big wins on your CV.